Course Title: Young Adult Fantasy Starring Women 101
Course Number: TBD
Instructor Information: See Sidebar
Term: Fall 2015
Textbooks and Other Materials:
1. Aveyard, Victoria. Red Queen. Orion, 2015. Print.
2. Bardugo, Leigh. Shadow and Bone. Henry Holt and Co, 2012. Print.
3. Cashore, Kristin. Graceling. Harcourt, 2008. Print.
4. Cass, Kiera. The Selection. HarperTeen, 2012. Print.
5. Clare, Cassandra. City of Bones. Margaret K. McElderry Books, 2007. Print.
6. Collins, Suzanne. The Hunger Games. Scholastic Press, 2008. Print.
7. Maas, Sarah J. Throne of Glass. Turtleback Books, 2012. Print.
8. Mead, Richelle. Vampire Academy. Razorbill, 2007. Print.
9. Meyer, Melissa. Cinder. Feiwel & Friends, 2012. Print.
10. Roth, Veronica. Divergent. Katherine Tegen Books, 2012. Print.
11. Comfortable reading cloths.
Course Description: Analyze the bad-assery of Women in contemporary Young Adult literature. Compare and contrast the characteristics of each characters to determine the ideals of the Young Adult heroine. Compare and contrast the dystopian worlds within The Selection, The Hunger Games, Cinder, and Divergent. Compare and contrast parallel universe within City of Bones and Vampire Academy. Compare and contrast the new worlds developed within Red Queen, Shadow and Bone, Graceling, and Throne of Glass. We will round out the term by picking our favorite heroine and, through writing, defend your opinion.
WHAT’s your class syllabus?
The Top Ten Tuesday meme is hosted by the Broke and Bookish.